How to Write Welcome Emails, Newsletters, Launch Sequences & Webinar Emails
Hear that? It’s the sound of millions of emails being deleted every day.
What if that email linked to a course launch? What if it actually included an amazing new tool? What if that email was yours?
Every successful entrepreneur will tell you that email is the backbone of their business. It’s essentially your audience - the list of people you can talk to, sell to and form a community around.
Yet, we read our email with thumbs over the delete key. That’s why what I’m about to give you is so valuable.
Every online entrepreneur and course creator has to write: a welcome email, newsletter, launch email sequence and possibly a webinar sequence, so I’m giving you the ultimate email example guide.
From the depths of my 15K deep inbox, I’ve chosen my favorite emails and am sharing them in one free downloadable workbook that you can reference every time you’re writing.
True confession: I plan to use it myself. With welcome emails from Marie Forleo and Nathan Chan, my favorite newsletters from 200 new emails a day and launch email sequences from Amy Hoy and Laura Belgray, this will be your go to guide showing exactly how to write the next email that will change your business.
Writing A Welcome Email
A welcome email has an 86% higher than normal open rate with a 196% click through rate according to SocialMouths, which makes this the one email your audience is going to open.
It’s extremely high leverage setting the tone for your relationship with your new subscriber and can set expectations that ensure happy readers or alienate new members.
So how do you write it? Answer the 5 Ws: who, what, why where, when.
- Who are you, what company do you write for, what’s your style?
- What you do, what’s your logo, tagline and what kind of content will you be sending?
- Why your audience should stay subscribed - highlight your competitive advantage
- Where they signed up for this new email and link to your online properties
- When you’ll be sending another email
It MUST also include a legally required mailing address.
For my favorite examples, download The Ultimate Email Example Guide. It’s free of course and my new go-to resource.
In the first section, you’ll find welcome emails from:
- Nathan Chan of Foundr Magazine
- Mariah Coz of Femtrepreneur
- Marie Forleo of MarieForleo.com
- Melyssa Griffin of The Nectar Collective
- Noah Kagan of OkDork
- Nat Eliason & Justin Mares of Programming for Marketers
If you’d like additional explanation around writing your welcome email, check out this post: The Welcome Email: Best Examples & How to Write Yours
As you build your email list, it’s crucial that you stay connected to your audience by periodically emailing them with new content and updates, so when you want to sell something you’ve already given week's and week’s worth of valuable content.
Surprisingly, most Google results for “How to Write a Newsletter” are pretty lame. As if Inc. knows your audience better than you. Pshhh.
So screw backlinks. Here’s my personal advice after sending 1 email a week, every week to our audience of over 35K - probably how you heard about this post in the first place.
- Craft a subject line people can’t ignore
- I adapted copy from Dan Kennedy’s Ultimate Sales Letter in the chapter on “Get it Read”
- Who else wants
- how_ made me_
- Are you_?
- How I
- How to
- If you’re_ you can
- Secrets of
- Give me _ and I’ll _
- Ways to _
For examples of my favorite emails, and truthfully, these are, check out the resource guide.
I collected the copy by searching my inbox for the emails I remembered off the top of my head after reading thousand of newsletters over the past 9 months. They stood out. The were remembered. They were a cut above the rest.
- Jon Morrow of Boost Blog Traffic
- Joanna Wiebe of Copy Hackers
- Laura Belgray of The Talking Shrimp
- Neil Patel of QuickSprout & NeilPatel.com
- Noah Kagan of OkDork
- Rebecca Tracey of The Uncaged Life
- Seth Godin of Seth’s Blog
This Hubspot post is great if you’re just getting started.
Launch Email Sequence
“But HOW do I launch my course.”
Launching is a vague verb that makes me ask our Head of Growth, “but HOW?!”
The answer varies in whether you’re launching with a presale, conversion event, with a partner or simply just a few emails, but the one consistent thread needed in all of these is...an email sequence.
Please, do NOT launch with just one email. If you were selling your product in person and someone walked into your store, you wouldn’t just scream at them BUUYYY THE BIG TV.
No. You’d let them peruse, maybe ask if you could help, give details on the product, maybe push a discount...you get my drift.
But how to do that through emails?
AND Laura Belgray. These emails are hot off the press as B-School (Marie Forleo's 8 week training program that teaches smart, effective online marketing strategies to business owners) launches. Laura's emails around the event are THE GOLD STANDARD of using storytelling to convert.
I also strangely like this video series by Ryan Diess on using a Gain - Fears - Logic email sequence. Don’t judge the suit.
Every email includes a link to buy your course or product, but addresses a different kind of psychological barrier.
Here’s a general go-to sequence that you can adapt to your audience.
- Anticipation Email - An email about your new course and what it is that generates excitement.
- Anticipation Email - Another email building excitement. You can include a video or personal story to humanize your launch.
- Common Questions - Answer questions potential students have that may prevent them from buying.
- Urgency Email - This email starts to build a sense of urgency. You could also offer a bonus for students who buy now rather than later.
- Course Close - Another urgency email giving a 24-hour course close warning.
- Last Call - Just what is sounds like.
Emails for Before and After A Webinar
At Teachable, we’ve found webinars (they are a great way to make money!) to be incredibly effective for growing our business, which is why we recommend them so often to you.
For advice on how to these events up, check out how Mariah Coz creates a webinar. Mariah is a course creator making 6 figures A MONTH from her online business. Her live events convert around 30% - the highest number we’ve ever heard of.
Both Mariah and the team here at Teachable use a relatively similar email sequence. It looks like this:
High Converting Webinar Email Sequence
- Send a confirmation email after someone signs up
- Send a 24-hour reminder before the event
- Send a 4-hour reminder
- Send a 5-minute reminder
- Send the webinar replay and offer that night
- Send the replay + offer 24-hour after the 1st email
- Send a last chance email 48-hours after
To see out how those emails look, download the example guide.
It includes copies of high converting welcome emails, newsletters, launch email sequences and webinar emails - everything you need to do to effectively run your business.
Ok - your turn peeps. What do you think? Was this post helpful? Anything else you’d like to see? If you have any remaining questions - throw them in the comment section below and I’ll get back to you #freeconsulting