For such a short month, we got a lot done in February! We have plenty of product updates to share, so keep reading. But first, a few pieces of exciting company news!
- Our customer care team won Bronze in our category at the Stevie Awards! They work hard to support our Teachable instructors every single day, and we’re proud to call them one of the Computer Software Customer Service Departments of the Year for companies with under 100 employees.
- We’re moving to our new office tomorrow, March 1! The new Teachable headquarters boasts two kitchens, a bike rack, and even a game room (because who isn’t more creative after a game of ping-pong?).
- We welcomed two new employees, both on the Growth & Marketing team.
- Kristin Hoppe (Lead Content Marketer)
- Yichen Ma (Email Marketing Manager)
Now, on to the product news--including user management improvements, ability for students to save credit cards, and more! :)
Recent Product Updates
Ability to Save myTeachable Credit Cards
This update makes it easier than ever for students to enroll in myTeachable-enabled schools with the click of a button!
Instead of re-entering their payment information for every purchase, students can now save their credit card information inside myTeachable, simply by checking a box at purchase:
Cards can be viewed, added, or removed inside the Billing area of the myTeachable profile:
A Few Exciting User Management Improvements
We were excited to introduce a much more intuitive way to manage your users--it just debuted yesterday morning!
Firstly, instead of all users being lumped together in a big list in the Users area, we have now broken them into four sections based on their roles: Students, Owners, Authors, and Affiliates. Now, you can see everyone with that role just by clicking on the tab--and email them all as a group--rather than requiring filters to sort them correctly.
Secondly, you can also check the boxes to the left of the users’ names to initiate bulk actions like enrolling, unenrolling, setting affiliate/author commissions, or deleting the user--or even sending custom emails to every user you’ve checked. Read more about these new bulk actions here!
And thirdly, it’s now possible for anyone to import users to their school, regardless of plan. By clicking the Add Students button in the top right, anyone can add up to five students at a time and optionally enroll them in a course immediately.
Read more about adding users here in the Knowledge Base! (Note that bulk importing with a CSV is still available on the High Volume plan only.)
Free Courses Only in the iOS App
Some complications with Apple’s guidelines mean that the Teachable app can now only display free courses. They require the use of in-app purchases for paid content, which means that by selling courses through the Teachable website instead of through the app (where Apple would control and take a cut of the purchases), the Teachable app did not meet the guidelines.
See a more detailed explanation in the changelog here. We’re very sorry about the inconvenience this causes our instructors and students :(
This is an evolving issue and we still hope to find a better solution in the future. You can check the changelog for any future updates regarding the iOS app.
Direct Link Generator to Your Courses’ Checkout Pages
The previous process for linking directly to your course’s checkout page required navigating to it like a student would from the front end of your school.
Now, you can do it from the back end in one easy click. Simply go to Admin > Course > Pricing, find the correct pricing plan you want to show, and click the Copy button in the Purchase URL column:
The link will be instantly copied to your clipboard, and you can paste it wherever you like.
What’s Happening Next in the Product
Taking Steps for GDPR Compliance
The GDPR, or General Data Protection Regulation, is a comprehensive data protection law designed to protect the personal information of European Union residents. Anyone who has EU-based customers must comply with the regulations.
Since that includes Teachable--and many of our instructors who have EU-based students--we have begun the process of overhauling our software to be GDPR-compliant by the time the regulation becomes mandatory (May 25, 2018).
Specific steps include:
- Retaining outside counsel to ensure that we comply with every requirement of the GDPR
- Designing and building new features to ensure that we comply with all of the GDPR requirements
- Reviewing our contracts with our subprocessors to make sure their data protection policies and procedures comply with GDPR requirements
- Designing a procedure for EU users to request access to or deletion of their personal data
Test Features First with Our New Beta Program
We’re building a beta program that will allow select users to test new product features on their schools before they’re released to anyone else!
Having beta testers will help us seamlessly roll out new features, giving us a chance to receive feedback from live schools and work out any kinks those instructors find.
Any school owners with a Basic plan or higher can opt in to become a feature beta tester. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in learning more.
Rich Text Editor Improvements
We’re in the process of reworking our text editor to make it a better experience for instructors as they design their lectures. The updates will make it simpler to add HTML and code snippets and combine redundant features (e.g. image attachment + file attachment). The goal is to make it simpler for you to create great-looking lectures your students love.
Want to help us continue making Teachable amazing? Well that’s good news, because...
We’re still hiring for the roles below! Check them out and you could be working alongside these happy people!
All smiles despite the "#bombcyclone" that's about to hit the NYC! ❄ All of our east coast creators and IG followers: stay warm this weekend and well be doing our best to do the same! 👐🏼 (Maybe hunker down and work on your course until the frost thaws 😉) #TeachableTeam . . . . . #teachable #onlinecourses #teachonline #newyork #nycbloggers #suitcaseentrepreneur #laptoplifestyle #beyourownboss #workforyourself #orworkforus #werehiring #bloggersofig #creatorsofig
A post shared by Teachable | Online Courses (@teachable) on
Growth & Marketing
- Content Marketing Manager: Manage content marketing campaigns, run online events, build content partnerships, and ultimately find ways to get our content in front of new eyes.
- Copywriter: Write direct-response copy that converts, including landing pages, sales letters, email campaigns, and more. Tell compelling stories that attract new users to the platform.
- Senior Manager, Acquisition Marketing: Join our marketing team to head up acquisition strategy, thinking about the big picture as well as overseeing day-to-day operations. Oversee digital channels including SEM, Display Prospecting & Retargeting, and Paid Social. Use metrics to determine the success of various campaigns.
- Customer Educator: If you’re a Teachable user, you might already be an expert on the ins and outs of the platform. Put that knowledge to more good use by joining our Customer Care team to help other users solve their problems.
- Lead Product Designer: Take the reins on designing a beautiful, effective product that will be used by millions of people. Join our Product team and collaborate with other departments to take your designs from idea to execution.
- Data Engineer: Build data features and experiments to drive insights and analytics across the company. This is a chance to be one of the first members of our data team and have a real impact on the company.
- Senior Software Engineer: Work on the back end of the product on our engineering team.
- Software Engineer: Either a full-stack or backend engineer to work on production code.
- Software Engineer - Internal Tools: Help Teachable run more efficiently by managing the tools we use internally.
Learn more about what it’s like working at Teachable on our career page. And to give you an extra leg up to land the role, here’s a cheat sheet on how to ace the interview with us!
We’re so excited to keep expanding the Teachable team in the coming months. Perks include working in a gorgeous office in the Flatiron district of Manhattan, working in an exciting and fast-paced environment with awesome people, competitive pay, health care benefits, tax-free commuter benefits and more.