What an amazing 2017! Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.
A few highlights from the month of December include releasing affiliate improvements within the product, working on new courses for the Teachable Academy, and making a game plan for what we want to accomplish in 2018.
At the Teachable HQ, we’ve enjoyed participating in a wide range of company events (from volunteering at an animal shelter to our Christmas party to seeing Star Wars on opening night), along with lots of team-specific activities. Shout out to Casey, our office manager, for organizing so many amazing events to wrap up 2017!
New in the Product
Doubtless the most exciting update we made to the product in December: a revamp of our affiliate program features. Here’s what’s new!
1. Course-Level Affiliate Permissions
Prior to this update, affiliates could promote every course on a school and earn commission for doing so. After hearing numerous requests from instructors, we introduced the ability for owners to choose which courses affiliates can receive credit for.
This means you could now have an affiliate for a single course, or a group of courses, without giving up credit if the referred students later discover other offerings on your school (like expensive coaching packages, different course groupings, etc).
You can manage this from the new Course Restrictions area in each affiliate’s user profile, by toggling on “Restrict commission to specific courses” and checking which ones are allowed:
To learn more, check out our changelog post.
2. Custom Affiliate Cookie Period
By default, affiliate cookies used to last 365 days--so as long as a referred student returned within a year to make a purchase (on the same browser and device), the affiliate would get credit.
Now, you can choose how long this cookie will last for all affiliates (between 1 and 365 days). To set the cookie length, navigate to Settings > General > School > Affiliates; you’ll see a box where you can specify how many days your affiliates’ cookies will last:
3. External Affiliate Link Generator
Instead of only allowing affiliates to generate affiliate links pointing to a page on your school, we’ve now created an (optional) external link generator that can change any URL into an affiliate link.
Owners can choose whether or not to allow affiliates to generate external links, via a toggle in Settings > General > School > Affiliates:
This will enable you to do things like host sales pages outside of Teachable, or even have multiple sales pages for A/B testing, while still giving your affiliates credit for their referrals.
4. Improved Analytics
We wanted to make it easier for school owners and affiliates to see how much revenue they were generating.
On the affiliate end, we improved their dashboard so they could see at a glance their earnings and revenue generated over the last 7 days, 30 days, and all time:
School owners can find gross earnings & revenue information in the affiliate’s user profile under the Information tab and Stats heading:
5. Redesigned Affiliate Area
In addition to the new dashboard analytics, we made some visual improvements and added a brand-new FAQs page so onboarding new affiliates is as smooth as possible for you.
We can’t wait to continue improving our affiliate program features in 2018!
Live Chat Support Officially Enabled on All Pro Plans
Our ticket response times may be pretty good (and getting better all the time)--but sometimes you just have a quick question that needs an instant response. We got you covered ;)
Last month we were testing out live chat support in beta on select Pro+ schools. In December, we rolled it out to all schools on Professional plans and up.
Find chat support in the Help tab of your school, here:
What’s Happening at Teachable HQ
New Senior Developer
In December, we welcomed one new employee! Mike Fey started on Dec 4th as a senior front-end developer.
Star Wars Movie Premiere
I’m sure there are some Star Wars fans reading! We certainly have many who work at Teachable. That’s why we had a company outing to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi the evening it was released.
New Courses Coming to the Academy
In December, we’ve been working hard to create new courses for our Academy site. Below is a quick behind-the-scenes photo from the video shoot!
The Academy courses cover useful topics related to running a Teachable school--from the actual mechanics of setting it up, to building an audience, to creating a mailing list. Stay tuned!
Teacha-Team Holiday Trips!
Time to see where in the world the Teachable team went this season!
Sid Yadav, VP of Product, travelled to Hawaii and Australia (Gold Coast + Sydney). (Fun fact: Sid spent most of his adolescent years in New Zealand and Australia!) He took the picture below in Hawaii.
Zareef Ahmed, Customer Operations Process Strategist, spent time in Cuba. Photo below is from Havana.
Our technical editor/writer Kate Braun traveled to Southeast Asia--here’s Teachable representing at the White Temple in Chiang Rai, Thailand:
On the left is Jackson Riso, Head of Marketing Ops, spending some quality time with his family:
Elle Hoffman, Customer Educator, snowshoeing in Park City, Utah:
And here’s Morgan Timm, Content Marketer, baking cookies with her cousins in Moline, Illinois:
Learn More About Working at Teachable
Meet a team member, see what we’re hiring for, and more!
Meet Allan Buntoengsuk (Product Designer)
How long have you been working at Teachable?
A bit over 3 months!
What do you do at Teachable?
I’m a product designer—which is a fairly vague title but can encompass anything from conducting user interviews to understand pain points, mapping out user flows to ensure people are able to accomplish what they set out to do, making sure the site experience is simple and easy to use, or tweaking the actual visual design of the product.
What’s the best thing about your experience working at Teachable?
The people and the autonomy. People here are friendly, yet hard-working, and though we may not agree on everything, we’re able to work together to find the best solution—whatever that may look like. I also appreciate that there is a bit of leeway to experiment and take risks without having to ask permission all the time.
What’s an interesting Teachable school that you’ve come across?
Coach K, the legendary basketball coach at Duke, has a course on Teachable! That’s pretty rad.
What are you most excited about going forward?
We’ve been growing like crazy and it’s a great feeling to be able to have so much impact over a product that brings value into people’s lives. Plus there’s a lot more work to be done on the product and design side, so I’m excited about that.
What’s your most useless talent?
I have a terrible memory when it comes to pretty much everything except sports facts. Really random sports facts.
Career Opportunity Spotlight: Customer Educator
Want to join our Customer Care team as a Customer Educator? Below, learn more about what this role entails!
What you’ll be doing:
- Interacting with our school owners on a daily basis by answering their questions and working through any problems they are having with their schools.
- Becoming an expert on the Teachable platform.
- Helping to make Teachable the go-to platform for online educators.
Who you’ll be working with: As a Customer Educator, you’ll be working with a diverse, social, and all-around awesome team. We like to keep things fun with things like team potlucks and karaoke outings. The team includes musicians (make that lots of musicians), screenwriters, gamers, a journalist, a former teacher, and a lawyer. If you have an interesting or unique hobby, you will fit right in.
Ways you can grow in the role: We want all of our Customer Educators to grow professionally based on what their interests are. The Customer Operations team is loosely divided into three sub-teams: Customer Care, Community, and Operations. After solidifying their knowledge of the platform, Customer Educators have the opportunity to transition to different roles within the Customer Operations team. So far, Customer Educators have gone on to become Team Leads, Shift Leads, Technical Writers, and Community Specialists.
All Open Positions at Teachable
Here’s what we’re still searching for:
Growth & Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing Manager: Grow our affiliate program by building relationships with influencers and developing marketing materials.
- Content Marketing Manager: Manage content marketing campaigns, run online events, build content partnerships, and ultimately find ways to get our content in front of new eyes.
- Copywriter: Write direct-response copy that converts, including landing pages, sales letters, email campaigns, and more. Tell compelling stories that attract new users to the platform.
- Email Marketing Specialist: Design and implement marketing tactics to optimize email engagement and success--like A/B testing, user list segmenting, automated email programs, etc. Also help improve other messaging (e.g. browser push notifications and in-app messages).
- Lead Content Marketer: Use technical content marketing strategies to optimize our blog, generate leads, analyze performance metrics, and ultimately help us grow our user base.
- Customer Educator: If you’re a Teachable user, you might already be an expert on the ins and outs of the platform. Put that knowledge to more good use by joining our Customer Care team to help other users solve their problems.
- Lead Product Designer: Take the reins on designing a beautiful, effective product that will be used by millions of people. Join our Product team and collaborate with other departments to take your designs from idea to execution.
- Technical Project Manager: Bring projects together by collaborating across teams (focusing on product and engineering) and improving internal processes.
- QA Engineer: Own quality assurance processes within our product. (See the career opportunity spotlight above for more!)
- Senior Software Engineer: Work on the back end of the product on our engineering team.
- Software Engineer: Either a full-stack or backend engineer to work on production code.
- Software Engineer - Internal Tools: Help Teachable run more efficiently by managing the tools we use internally.
Learn more about each opening here on our career page. We’re so excited to keep expanding the Teachable team in the coming months. Perks include:
- Working in an exciting and fast-paced environment, in Manhattan
- Competitive pay
- Comprehensive health care benefits
- 401k matching
- Open vacation policy
- Tax-free commuter benefits
- Company activities and outings
- And more!
Happy holidays, and we’ll see you in 2018!